Love is the reason why we are here in this world, then that proves to me that love has to be the single most powerful thing that God has ever given to man. It can happen anywhere at any time.
I still believe that love is the most amazing emotion in the world, even though I am yet to experience it fully.
It can be simply defined as “happiness”.
To be loved is an ideal which we all strive to achieve in our lives. This holds especially true on the official once-yearly day of love and adoration. But the person you choose to spend your life with on a daily basis make a world of a difference.
The difference lies in whether that person is your soul mate, your heart’s other half, or just a life partner, a person who lacks the components to make you a truly compatible couple. Wouldn’t you like to find out who you’re with? After all, there’s no avoiding the inevitable question we each ask ourselves in a relationship: Is this the person I was bound by destiny to share my life with? Or did I settle too quickly into a relationship with a person who will never be my heart’s other half?
A “soul mate” is a higher form of love, compared to a “life-partner”.
But. What is the definition of a soul mate? What is the definition of a life partner? What are the differences?
Soul mate means a person ideally suited to another as a close friend or romantic partner. A soul mate is a person with whom you are unexplainably drawn to be in relationship. Soul mates are brought into your life so that you can grow and expand into the best version of yourself.
A soulmate is a person with whom one has a feeling of deep or natural affinity. This may involve similarity, love, romance, friendship, comfort, intimacy, sexuality, sexual activity, spirituality, or compatibility and trust. Someone who is aligned with your soul and is sent to challenge, awaken and stir different parts of you in order for your soul to transcend to a higher level of consciousness and awareness. Once the lesson has been learnt, physical separation usually occurs.
Life partner means a person with whom one is in a long-term monogamous relationship. A life partner is a romantic or otherwise very close friend for life. The partners can be of the same or opposite sexes, married or unmarried, and celibate, monogamous or polyamorous.
A life partner is your significant other, the person you can’t live without. The person you see yourself with for life. The greatest feeling one can know when it is reciprocated. Can hurt like hell when it’s not or when one is not true. A life partner is a person with whom someone else has an intimate, life long relationship.
A life partner seeks a companion, a friend, a stable and secure individual who you can lean on, trust and depend on to help you through life. There is a mutual feeling of love and respect and you are both in sync with each other needs and wants.
The differences about a soul mate and a life partner…
Everyone wants to meet their Soulmate. And, everyone are looking for a lifetime partner.
We have many Soulmates in this life but their purpose is all the same- they are here to challenge and awaken us so our soul can evolve into a higher state of consciousness. Soul Mates. Soul Reminders. Soul Connections. We hear about it, read about it and some of us are lucky enough to experience it. We are all curious and most of us want one.
“Your soul mate makes you feel entirely intact, like no piece is missing from the puzzle. A life partner, on the other hand, can be a great supporter and long-time companion, but is limited in his or her capacity to enrich your spirit.”
-Dr. Carmen Harra
Soulmate relationships are often not forever, this is because sometimes the relationship can be too intense or there is a certain karmic energy to the relationship that sees it come to a close once the necessary lessons have been learnt.
Soul mates differ from life partners. Some people, not ever encountering a soul mate or soul connection, settle down with a life partner. These relationships can be very satisfying. They are often built on mutual trust, respect and friendship.
Soulmates can also be friends and relatives; they don’t always have to be romantic partners. Regardless of this, you will always feel a strong, energetic connection or a past life history together.
Many of us spend years obsessing about meeting a Soulmate, but fail to notice what we are really asking for. When we ask for a Soulmate we are really asking to grow and develop in consciousness, and not understanding this can sometimes block the energy from coming to us.
Alternatively, if you are done with the soul lessons for now and are just looking for a companion to share the rest of your life with, what you want to be asking for, or manifesting is your Life Partner.
A Life Partner is more like a companion or friend that you feel a strong connection to. It may not be a deep, soul connection like a soul mate, but there would be a mutual feeling of trust, understanding and respect. A life partner is someone who is dependable and considerate of your needs and wants. Of course, a life partner is also someone that you are attracted to and that you love and care for.
While you will still be learning lessons from a life partner, they are more about lending support and giving you a guiding hand as you navigate through your own soul journey.
Meeting your Life Partner is usually not something you spiritually or energetically prepare yourself for like you would with a soulmate. Instead it requires emotional and mental preparation and physically putting yourself out there.
It is possible to have your Soulmate also be your Life Partner and it is also possible that you and your Life Partner can develop a deeper, soul connection- it all just depends on which direction you choose to steer.
Here are the different characteristics of each relationship:
- You’re willing to work through conflicts, to compromise, and to surrender unhealthy patterns to improve the relationships.
- There’s a physical attraction.
- Your connection is intense and so too is the relationship. Often it can move from extreme highs to extreme lows.
- You feel in sync with each other even when you are not physically together. There may be a feeling of having to team up together to conquer something.
- You know intuitively what the other is thinking or feeling. You feel very in-tune and connected with their thoughts and actions.
- Your relationship is emotional, challenging and can bring things out in you that you didn’t know existed.
- You seek companions that embrace life with us in a deep and harmonious manner.
- You feel a deep, spiritual connection to this person almost like you have known them for a long time.
- You have flashbacks or deja vu moments where you feel that you have been together before.
- You seem to understand each other and have a similar way of thinking.
- You may experience huge shifts and changes in your life when you first meet this person.
- Your relationship may not last forever but the love is always there.
Life Partner Relationship
- You get along like best friends- your relationship does not suffer from extremes.
- Your relationship is based on logical or intellectual decisions.
- You resonate with each other’s beliefs, ideas or religion/philosophy.
- Someone who encourages us to be all we can be.
- Someone who’s respectful and who treat us properly.
- You feel attracted to each other physically and resonate with each other’s values.
- You enjoy getting to know each other and learn about your differences and similarities- everything about each other feels new and exciting.
- Someone who’s consistent, and always keep their words.
- You both feel a sense of financial and emotional stability by being together.
- Your relationship is based on being physically present and creating new memories.
- You feel the need to marry or start a family in order to ‘cement’ your relationship.
- Someone who wants to make a future with you.
- You see yourself being with that person for a lifetime.
You see, in life, we have no control over timing and sometimes less control of circumstance. Some cannot wait forever in hopes of encountering a soul mate, so they are satisfied with a mature life-partner relationship. For some it is about survival, security or simple companionship, and the word soul mate does not resonate. The concept may seem flighty, dreamy and unrealistic. Life circumstance, timing, availability, security and many other factors may all influence our relationship choices…
At different times of our lives we will need and want different types of relationships. Neither is better or worse than the other, it is all a personal decision and one that you will feel guided to as long as you are following your heart.
The key about finding love is to love yourself first before you can love with someone. You have to be love and be happy with or without anyone. That way, you don’t need someone to complete you. You can be a whole person and complete by creating your own happiness. -April Mae♥